Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ballet

Last night we went to the Ballet at the new Kauffman Center. Thoughts from the evening:
1. The Blue Bird Bistro has some money food. I had the ravioli with goat cheese, onion, spinach and cherries and it was yum. If you are vegetarian, vegan or carnivorous, you'll be just fine.
2. The Kauffman Center is awesome. I mean really, you should go.
3. I'm not sure I've been to the ballet other than The Nutcracker and for some reason the fact that no one talks isn't a big deal in the Nutcracker. Maybe because I always see it as just music and dancing anyway. Last night we saw Romeo & Juliet. I read Romeo & Juliet, really, I did. It was probably 13 years ago and therein lies the problem. I knew roughly which characters were which, but without any dialogue, the story becomes much more intriguing. The thing about ballet is that it is a masterpiece in body language. I couldn't see Juliet's face, but I knew when she was happy and sad by her posture, her movements and her eyebrows. The girl that played her is a ballerina that's been dancing in the KC Ballet for 20 years. I honest-to-God didn't know ballerinas could dance that long. Age discrimination? Possibly. Still, she was great. The symphony did a fantastic job as well.
4. People watching at an even like that is better than the airport. There were people in farm boots and jeans, one old man with a white coat and obnoxiously printed bow tie with a woman 20 years his junior who was wearing an extremely curve hugging leopard print skirt and then there were normal people dressed in ballgowns to business casual. I was entertained before I even made it into the show.
It was a fabulous night to be out and about in Kansas City. More reasons this city is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment