Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Gatsby quote 2

I finished The Great Gatsby the other day. I've read a lot of "deep" books recently. Those "deep" books also tended to be more than 500 pages long. Gatsby? Less than 200. Still just about as deep as it gets. So many topics to talk about at book club.

Anyway, there was another one liner that I found particularly memorable. It is close to the end of the book when Nick sees Jordan after she has found another man.

The important piece comes at the end of this passage...
We shook hands.

"Oh, and do you remember--" she added, "--a conversation we had once about driving a car?"

"Why, -- not exactly."

"You said a bad driver was only safe until she met another bad driver? Well, I met another bad driver, didn't I? I mean it was careless of me to make such a wrong guess. I thought you were rather an honest, straightforward person. I thought it was your secret pride."

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

That statement made me think of how necessary it is to be who you are, not who you think you ought to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment