Friday, May 25, 2012

Day 11: Road Trip

Wednesday evening was spent preparing for the weekend road trip, so smoothies, salads, fruits and veggies were all in supply as Thursday hit.
I had to work, but first had a smoothie with strawberries, pears and beet greens. I really love beets. I do not really love beet greens. In my smoothie they were stringy and crunchy. Not good attributes for a smoothie. I made it through though and headed to work.
For lunch, one of the women I work with suggested we hit up Chipotle. Amazingly, they have a good option for eating no meat and no dairy and no grains. I had a burrito bowl with brown rice, black beans, lettuce, corn salsa and guac. As I was eating the bowl, I wondered more than once whether the rice was actually brown rice, but I enjoyed the flavors so much that I decided not to care either way. I was definitely full after lunch, but in true challenge form, I wasn't stuffed and I didn't feel full for long. I had a half of an avocado waiting on my desk when I returned to work. One of the women likes to eat them, but doesn't want the entire thing. Score one for me! I od'd on avocado though. I had guac for lunch, the half of an avocado and then some in my wrap for dinner.
The story on dinner is that we drove from KC to Hannibal, MO. On the way I had a massive salad that we had prepared. The salad was scrumptious, romaine, spinach, mushrooms, orange peppers, celery, carrots and beets. I was quite content for the drive, but after we got to our Quality hotel, I still needed dinner.
We walked over to Fiddlesticks and perused the massive menu. My appreciation for anyone trying to eat remotely healthy has only been heightened by this challenge. There were maybe 20 salads on the menu, all of which had chicken, cheese, croutons or some other healthy-killing attribute.
I ended up getting a california club wrap without chicken or bacon, which left the tomato tortilla, spinach, tomato and avocado. Exciting huh? I had to get salsa to give it a little more flavor, and I got a side of the "garden" rice. Another thing about this challenge: not being allowed to have salt, when things are salty they are SALTY. This rice was definitely salty. By normal standards it wasn't ridiculous, but after having very little salt over the past 11 days, it was much saltier than I liked.
Alas, day one of the road trip is complete and went relatively well in light of the situation. The harder part of the challenge during Memorial Day weekend is coming up....

No comments:

Post a Comment