Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 5: the Picnic challenge

It is shaping up that each day of this challenge poses another obstacle.
This morning I was going golfing with the family for the Croatian Open. I had an apple for breakfast because I didn't want the green smoothie effect on my system while I was in the middle of the golf course without easy access to the facilites. I took a banana to eat halfway through the morning, but when I went to leave my house my garage door wouldn't open. My car was stuck inside. I had to call my dad to come and get me and in the rush to switch all my stuff to a different car, my banana got left behind. Oh boy did I want it bad around 10:30am.
We finished golf around 1:30 and I hadn't eaten since my apple at 6:30am. We went to the after-picnic and there was an entire spread of ..... meat. Sausage, turkey, brisket, ham. Yum. Potato salad and baked beans were also in attendance. Oh, and also there was lots and lots of cold beer. I sat at the picnic table and talked with family without eating a gosh darn thing. It was torture. Somewhat disheartening, but torture. This challenge will only last 42 days. I understand completely what is and is not good for me, and the social aspect of food and drink is good for me. Anything else makes me sorely unhappy. It is one of the reasons I will probably never stop drinking beer. It's what one does after a round of golf, while sitting at a baseball game or at a backyard bbq. I get that "customs" can be changed, but only if the necessity of changing is readily acceptable. It isn't for me.
I slowly enjoyed falafel and broccoli when I got home and felt a little proud for holding out, but also a little empty too. Not just of the food, but of the social sharing. It is what it is though, and probably for the better.
Mom made cashew stir fry for dinner with oodles of veggies and brown rice and it was quite yummy. Another keeper for even after the challenge is over.
The second obstacle of the day came at a birthday party. There were chips and dip and cookies and pretzels and oh.....tortilla chips. Man I love tortilla chips. I could eat a whole bag in one sitting. I resisted it all though and didn't drink anything because all they had was beer.
Work week 1 is complete and the challenge is still intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment